Thursday, September 2, 2010

2nd Day of Class

Monday was my 2nd day of my Intro to Cooking Class.  Unfortunately we did not get to spend time in the kitchen as there was a lot to cover in lecture, but I did learn a lot and was given my first homework assignment: to practice my cutting skills. 
     The first 30 minutes we watched a video of Charlie Trotter (very famous chef, author of cookbooks and host on a PBS cooking show).  He gave an inspirational speech on professionalism in the "world of food" as he put it.  I enjoyed hearing him speak and share inspiration on what he loves.
     The remaining time of class we went over the first few chapters in our book - the first chapter was on the history of cuisines and the chefs who started them.  From there we hit some main points on nutrition, safety & sanitation.  We then dove in to the chapter on recipes & menus and then learned about recipe conversion and food cost per plate. This required some math and following a formula that had me scratching my head a bit but I think I'll catch on after I thoroughly read the chapter.  He then went over what the knives in our knife set are each meant for and the safety involved.  He shared a story about a girl who cut her fingers on the first day of class because she wasn't paying attention while cleaning her knife.  I fear this will be me.    
     We did go to the kitchen at the very end for another tour and to ask any questions as next time we will spend most of the time in the kitchen. 
     We don't have class next week due to the holiday and I'm going to miss it.  I really have learned so much already.  I will definitely be doing my homework and hope to share my progress along the way.  Did you know I never knew the right way to cut onion!?  Oh so much to learn....
Til next class.

1 comment:

  1. Hey

    I'm finally in and I love your blog more later....

    ps

    roger says send him something

    ReplyDelete