Wednesday, September 22, 2010

New Recipe

Coq au Vin Blanc
Recipe from: Rachel Ray Magazine
Taste Rating: 9 out of 10
Execution Rating: 8
Learned: The flavor of Pinot Grigio instead of Moscato
as my white cooking wine

So from the thighs and breasts of the chicken I cut up I decided to make Coq au Vin (Chicken with White Wine).  I have three different recipes for this dish - one that is very amateurish and turns out more to be more like country smothered chicken, one that is a little more advanced using white wine and one that is from my simple french cook book and uses red wine.  I decided to go with the white wine version.  I didn't take pictures along the way so I am providing the recipe for this one to help explain the process and to share a very good recipe with you that is worth trying.

3 Tbsp EVOO                                                                            4 sprigs of thyme
1 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into 2” pieces                     2 cups chicken broth
1 lb bones chicken thighs, cut into 2”pieces                           2 cups dry white wine
2 Tbsp flour, plus more for dredging                                        ½ cup heavy cream
4 slices of bacon, chopped                                                       8 slices of break
1 lb of frozen pearl onions (about 2 cups)                               2 garlic cloves
  *(I used sliced onions)                                                           Butter for spreading
1 bay leaf                                                                                  Parsley for garnish

Heat 2 tbsp of EVOO, in a large skillet over med-high heat.  Season the chicken with salt & pepper, dredge in flour & add to the pan in single layer; do not crowd the meat.  Cook the chicken until browned about 4-5 minutes on each side.
While the chicken is working, heat a large Dutch oven or deep skillet over med-high heat with the remaining EVOO. When the oil is hot, add the bacon & cook until crisp, about 5 mins.  Remove the bacon with slotted spoon & drain on paper towels.  Pour off a little bacon fat, leaving a thin layer in dutch oven.  Add the onions, thyme (whole sprigs), mushrooms & bay leaf.  Cook until onions have a little color and mushrooms are tender, 7-8 mins.  Add 2 tbsp flour to dutch oven and cook for 2 mins.  Deglaze with chicken broth and cook for 5 mins.
Over high heat add the wine to the cooked chicken in skillet and scrape up bits.  Reduce the liquid for 5 mins, then add the chicken & wine to the broth & vegetables in dutch oven; stir to combine.  Stir in the cream, lower heat to a simmer & reduce sauce for about 5 mins.
Toast your bread and rub garlic across the hot toast and butter lightly (oops...I obviously buttered heavy as you see it in the picture). Cut slices of toast corner to corner.  Remove the bay leaf & thyme from sauce.  To serve, fan toast triangles across plate, lining up points and top with chicken & sauce. Top with bacon & parsley.

I followed the recipe exactly except I added a bit of cornstarch at the end to thicken it up a little more and I used sliced onions instead of frozen since I couldn't find them.  The final result was a total success as the kids even ate it and my husband praised me multiple times while eating it. With 2 cups of wine and bacon I knew it was going to be good. :)  If I would change anything it would proabably be the presentation, it just didn't show quite as good as it tastes.If you do try it, please share pictures and your process. I would love to hear how you did.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good to me. I have heard that a Coq au Vin uses a rooster instead of a hen. Do you know if that's correct? I know rooster meat is almost always tougher to work with.
    We have a small "almost organic" and pastured free range chicken (and egg) farm here in SW MO, and I'm glad to see your recipe here. New ideas are always welcomed!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle - you are correct. I did a little research and Coq au Vin normally uses a rooster. Also, I learned that the traditional recipe is made with red wine and the literal translation of Coq au Vin is "Rooster with Red Wine". Coq au Vin Blanc is white wine. I'm learning all sorts of new things.
    That's so neat that you have a chicken farm. I'm sure you have made chicken in many, many different ways. Share any you love. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete