Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Homework Assignment: Practice Cutting

Since I did not have class this Monday due to the Holiday, I decided to use the time off to do my homework assignment - to practice cutting with my knives.  I began my homework with 5 pounds of onions and a goal of onion soup and decided to slice them all. 
I remembered reading in my book that leaving one end of the onion in tact helps keep the onion together when slicing.  This helped quite a bit but I still felt awkward in my cutting as it took me a long time and my slices were not all uniform in size.  Lacking confidence I refered again to my book and read the part on the proper way to hold a knife - three fingers wrapped around the bottom with the top of the blade in between your thumb and fore finger.   Wait a minute?  I've been holding my knife wrong?  I have all my fingers wrapped around the handle - does this really make a difference?  So I tried it as the book suggested and yes, it really makes a difference.  I felt more control with the knife and finished up the last of my onions wishing I had 5 more pounds to slice with this new found knowledge. 
     With my 5 pounds of sliced onions I began to make my soup.  I added some bacon in for flavor and sauteed my onions keeping the pot covered.  As they started softening I took the cover off and let them carmelize.  I then added some white wine (Moscato of course as this is what I always have on hand) and then one can of chicken broth and one can of beef broth.  Lots of salt and pepper and a little thyme and that was it.  I toasted some bread with butter and melted cheese on top and I was set to enjoy. 
     So what did I learn from doing my homework assignment?
I learned the proper way to hold a knife - which right there is worth the cost of tuition.  I learned that the best flavoring for onion soup is apple cider instead of wine.  Wine is fine but my favorite onion soup was when I used cider as the liquid to deglaze the pan.  I learned that onions always reduce when cooked so if you think you have too many onions you likely don't - cook more.  And I learned that this assignment made me love onions even more.  I'm off to buy another 5 pounds and keep practicing my homework.

4 comments:

  1. I was so proud of her progress that I started to cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Danielle. I have grown very fond of cooking myself. Ted, are you sure the tears weren't from all those onions. Just kidding. There is nothing better than a supportive husband. I wish you both happy eating and happier cooking, and of course, fair weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a wonderful cutting tip! I love reading your progress and your love of cooking and food just shines through your words and is very interesting to read! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danielle,

    Great blog! I love the pictures and will definitely be following you on your new and exciting journey. You'll be great!

    ReplyDelete